Wednesday 11 February 2015

An Ethical Nihilist

Image Source: a_tart
I'm in the middle of Meta Maus, which a friend of mine very kindly lent me. If you're familiar with Art Spigelman's Maus, you may remember that his therapist, Pavel (also a Holocaust survivor) featured in the work.

In Meta Maus Art touches on his relationship with Pavel and while I didn't pay much attention to him in my first reading of Maus, I was literally blown away by some of the things he said. For example according to him:

neurosis is just a solution that has become a problem.

My favorite part is about his philosophy in life. He told Art that he was a nihilist and Art questioned him how could he explain 'being so available to patients way past the point of it being good for his health' and he replied:

Well, I decided that behaving ethically was the most nihilistic thing I could do. That was pure gold.

Other very interesting things are coming out of this treasure trove of what want into making Maus. The Word of the Day goes to Holokitsch and refers to anything that seeks to over sentimentalization and kitschification of the Holocaust. Pure gold I tell you! Pure Gold!!

No comments:

Post a Comment